Preserve and Celebrate Our Downtown Creeks!
Creeks in the downtown are an asset not enjoyed by many cities. The City of Lafayette feels fortunate to have this asset and is working on a Downtown Creeks Plan that can entice more people to shop, dine and linger. The City began work on the Downtown Creeks Plan in September to fulfill a recommendation from Lafayette’s Downtown Specific Plan which was adopted by the City Council in 2012. A consultant team with expertise in landscape architecture, civil engineering and environmental restoration is developing the Plan under the guidance of the City Creeks Committee.
The objectives of the Plan include:
•Identifying creek preservation and restoration opportunities;
•Clarifying creek setback requirements for the downtown;
•Preserving existing trees and riparian corridors;
•Developing standards for how development should relate to adjacent creeks;
•Producing strategies and methods for creek improvements and stewardship;
•Developing opportunities for public access and pathways;
•Preventing property damage by creek processes (flooding, erosion);
•Identifying public safety and environmental concerns.
What's Happening Now:
The City of Lafayette Creeks Committee will be presenting the Draft Downtown Creeks Plan to various city commissions and committees whose responsibilities are affected by the recommendations. These are public meetings and anyone interested in the Downtown Creeks Plan is encouraged to attend. The schedule for these presentations is as follows:
- Parks Trails & Recreation Commission, August 10, 7 pm at the Community Center, located at 500 St. Mary’s Road, Lafayette.
- Design Review Commission, August 22, 7 pm. Arts & Sciences Discovery Center at the Lafayette Library and Learning Center, 3491 Mt. Diablo Boulevard.
- Downtown Street Improvement Master Plan Implementation Committee, September 15, 4:30 pm. Lafayette City Offices, 3675 Mt. Diablo Boulevard, Suite 265.
- Parking Ordinance Committee, September 28, 5 pm. Lafayette City Offices, 3675 Mt. Diablo Boulevard, Suite 265.
The Creeks Committee presentation will typically be scheduled early on the agenda. Please check the City Calendar to confirm the above information as this schedule may change. Following these presentations, the Creeks Committee will consider the comments received by these commissions and committees prior to presenting the Downtown Creeks Plan to the Planning Commission and City Council. Contact Steven Goetz at 925-525-5527 or email@example.com if you have questions on this information.
For more information:
- October 6th Public Workshop Presentation
- Creek Setback Determination Document
To receive e-notifications updates on future meetings, please sign up here and subscribe to the Creeks Committee.